Wednesday, June 23, 2010

My day in Rutland with Susan

This past Friday, Susan and I left for a day in Rutland starting out at 7 am. At 8 we met with the Creative Economy Committee briefly on the new bike path that was going through Rutland. It was clear that while it was only going to be 2 miles long, they had put a great deal of effort into it, and it was going to be very well done. I then accompanied Susan and our fantastic hosts for the day, Tara Kelley and her intern, (whose name I have regrettably forgotten), to meet Marli Rupe of the Natural Resource Conservation District over breakfast. The two women talked while I ate and watched the soccer game. I called it a successful event.

At 9:30 we went to meet Mark Foley, Jr. and Mr. Louras - the mayor of Rutland. We discussed the city, ideas how to make it better, and the ever present problem of what to do about the large population of ex-criminals who are in Rutland and my home town of Barre.

At around 11 we went off to meet Jim Sabataso who belongs to Sustainable Rutland at a little coffee shop. The thing about the conversation that really caught my ear was the block parties that Rutland throws every Friday night in the downtown. It seemed like a really fun, good idea, and exactly what more places in Vermont need on the weekends.

After meeting Jim we went off to eat at a restaurant called Table 24, which serves a very tasty BLT. I also found out the USA soccer team came back to tie Slovenia. Awesome. After lunch we said good bye to our hosts, and went off to get creemies in downtown Rutland. It was a great day for Team Bartlett.

Andrew Desmarais,
Deputy Field Director
Susan Bartlett Campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment