Monday, June 21, 2010

Why Vote for Susan?

Vermont women should vote for me for governor because I am the best qualified person for the position. My position as Chair of Appropriations has prepared me to understand not only the finances of the state, but the many complex policies that drive those finances.

I have been getting the approval of $4 billion budgets for many years and that is not an easy task. I have had to learn to say no and explain why it is necessary for not only my committee, but also the senate as a whole to say no. I have learned to balance the many needs of our state with the limited dollars that we have to spend.

My reputation in the state house is of being fair, balanced, direct and willing to listen to all sides of an issue. People also know that I am not afraid to make a difficult decision and stick to it.

I was the first woman and the first democrat to represent Lamoille County in the senate. My county is a very good representation of the state as a whole, fairly tolerant on social issues and fiscally pretty conservative. I have earned their votes over some difficult elections when the state was divided over issues such as Act 60 and Civil Unions.

To beat Brian Dubie in the general election, I believe that the democrats need to have a moderate as their candidate. For many years now the general public has shown they want a moderate in the governor’s office. We don’t seem to care so much about what party they belong to, we want a person who represents our values.

As I travel the state I find that Vermonters like my candor, my real ideas and my willingness to work with others. I find that I am much better known than I anticipated. Vermonters like me and I believe that will turn into votes on primary day and then in the general election. I would appreciate your support in the Democratic Primary August 24.

No comments:

Post a Comment