Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Fairness and Diversity

How will I change the structure and tone of state government? 

Right now I think state government is tone deaf on the issues of diversity.  The changing population is something we are watching and mostly going “wow this is different”.  There have been token appointments and conversations, but the reality is we don’t have any idea what to do.  As governor I would convene a series of public meetings to talk about the various issues and work with state and local government to develop solutions.  The real solution is education and that takes time, but it is the most effective way to go.  Taking an issue and keeping it visible is the best way to get good results.  That’s the power a governor has, to take an issue and make it public and keep constructive conversations going.

Appointments to boards


This administration has misused their power of appointment and has used many appointments as political rewards.  My approach to board appointments would be to ask the various groups that are involved with the board to make recommendations.  As a new and important part of the process I would include individuals who are working in the area of diversity and fairness to participate in the recommendation of individuals for boards.  The comment about Native American’s and District Environmental Commissions is an excellent example.  One of the problems is we don’t know what we don’t know.  So a key to moving forward is getting a different point of view as base line input for recommendations.

Hate Groups

I return to the issue of education.  I can see an entire series of public service ads talking about these issues.  They would be made with public officials, regular citizens, law enforcement, and all kinds of Vermonters, of all types of ethnic backgrounds.  Vermont has a long history of welcoming all folks; it’s time to get back to that behavior.

Vermont brand

As governor I would celebrate the growing diversity of our state and show that pride in our advertising and promotion of Vermont.  We are still in the process of figuring out how to develop innovation and intellectual property as economic development and there is no reason that these issues have any ethnicity attached to them.  I would develop an introduction to diversity daylong program that would be given to all state workers and any group that receives state dollars.  It would at least be a start in developing awareness.

School Issues

I wish I had an easy answer for this question.  We have passed laws that have resulted in attempts to address bullying, harassment and hate crimes and as you say they have come to nothing.  There must be programs in other states that have been effective in training educators in these issues.  I believe we need a total education and sensitizing set of programs to truly move forward.  How long has the south been integrated and how much progress has been made?

I don’t think the issue is large or small districts; the issue is human nature and ignorance.  For many years I have felt that half the trauma for the state of Vermont surrounding Civil Unions was that for years Vermonters had prided themselves on “not being like other state” and not being prejudiced.  Civil Unions smacked us right in the head and said “Oh yea, you think you’re not prejudiced?  How come you’re acting like this?”     

While Vermont has been “white,” the prejudice against the French Canadians and the Italians has been very real and very nasty.  Just because a state has been all white doesn’t mean it free from prejudice.

What sets me apart?

I was born in Massachusetts and raised in South Carolina.  My family moved to Orleans, Vermont in 1962 when I was entering the 11th grade.  My father worked in textiles and my mother worked for a lawyer.  They were totally supportive of integrating schools and raised my brother and I to judge each person as an individual. 

A woman of color worked for us so there was someone at home when my brother and I got home from school.  My parents spent 3 years trying to convince Johnny Mae to use the front door.  She never would.  As the violence was increasing, my father had the chance to take a job in Vermont. 

My parents saw they had two children who thought all folks were equal and that we were in for a very difficult time as some of our school friends began to take sides in the issue of integration.  So my parents made the decision to leave the south and move to Vermont for their children's well being. 

I have never shared this story before.  When the issue of Civil Unions came along, I felt that I was being given the opportunity to act on a civil rights issue in a way that my parents had never had the opportunity to, and if they had still been alive would have been so proud and happy that I had that chance.   So I think that kind of awareness makes me different than all the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment