Thursday, August 19, 2010

Top Ten Reasons to Vote for Susan

I can beat Brian Dubie. Only by recapturing the middle will we take back the governor’s office. I am the candidate with the practical, pragmatic ideas that can lead Vermont forward.


I have not made extravagant promises. You will always know where I stand.  I have the respect of Democrats, Independents, Progressives and Republicans, and constituency groups from business to human services. You may not always agree with me, but you will know where I stand and you can count on me to listen and be fair.

I have the experience. The biggest problem Vermont is facing is the economy. As a state senator for 18 years and chair of appropriations for 10 years, I know how government works and understand what it will take to restructure state government, balancing the needs of the present while building for the future.

I am a moderate.  I have a reputation of supporting essential programs and saying no when necessary.  I can balance the diverse needs of all Vermonters from single low-income parents to the business community and everyone in between.

I will make government responsible.  Vermont is facing a budget deficit and our citizens are taxed out. Our revenues in 2012 will be the same as they were in 2005. We must bring our spending in line with our revenues.  With limited state dollars we must evaluate programs based on outcomes and facts.  We can no longer afford to continue programs by habit or based on sentiment.


I will hire the best and brightest.  I will bring the most qualified individuals into my administration regardless of their political affiliation.


I will support our schools.  Educating our children must be a priority. I have a background in education and I can work with Vermonters to improve our education system without raising taxes.


I will protect Vermont’s family farms.  We must keep Vermont’s working landscape hospitable to farmers. Agriculture has been a part of my life.  I have owned a farm and helped start a farmers' market. Farming and food production are part of what makes Vermont unique and no other candidate understands the details of the issues better.

I understand the needs of small businesses.  Helping small businesses grow and prosper is the key to our economic future. Through innovation and intellectual property, we can create jobs and prosperity for a secure future.


I will protect Vermont’s natural resources. Vermont’s environment is special.  I was a conservationist and an organic farmer before it was popular. Protecting the environment by cleaning our water, building a renewable energy future and preserving the Vermont landscape is part of who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment