Friday, August 13, 2010

Why Women Should Vote for Bartlett

I want women to vote for me to become the next governor because I am the best qualified for the position, not because I’m a woman.   In conversations with folks who work in the halls of government there are often discussions about what are the qualities that make for good leaders and good policy.  

It is generally agreed that effective leaders are much more willing to consider the long term effects of policy; they are willing to reach across the aisle and work with others; they believe in planning; they have empathy for folks, and they are strong and can make difficult decisions; they don’t have to take credit, they just want good results.

I believe that I have shown all of these traits in my years in the Senate.  I understand that there are long-term impacts from the decisions we make in Appropriations.  I have always worked with all of the individuals, regardless of party, or philosophy involved with the issues.  As Chair of Appropriations, I have helped develop long-term policy around issues such as corrections, substance abuse, our high school drop out population, affordable housing, access to early education, creating jobs and job training programs, developing programs to help farmers transition to sustainable agriculture and much more.  

In these difficult financial times there have been many nights that I have tossed and turned trying to figure out what we can do to balance a budget and do the least harm to Vermonters in need.  I have made difficult decisions while balancing the needs of all the people of Vermont, not just special interests. 

As the Chair of Senate Appropriations, I have balanced a $4 billion budget for years.  I understand not just the numbers, but also the policy behind the numbers.  I see the problems we are confronting because we have not had plans; we have not had the comprehensive conversations we need to have to move forward in a sustainable manner.  I am ready to lead our state to solutions that can only come from an in-depth understanding of the issues.  


I know that I can lead diverse groups of individuals to solutions that serve all Vermonters. That is what I have been doing in the Senate for years. 

If you want to know more about my views on various issues, please check out my web site www.bartlettforgovernor.com or you can always call me at home. 888-5591

No comments:

Post a Comment